Promoting Environment Justice for Women with Disabilities(WFA)
Partner Organization: Women Fund Asia
Project Location: Dolakha and Sindhupalchowk districts
Project timeline: Sep 2019-Aug 2020.
Description of the project:
The project aimed at fostering environmental justice to women with disabilities by providing TOT on disability inclusive disaster risk reduction (DIDRR) to the women human rights defenders at the grassroots level and sensitization of the stakeholders for the local level policy changes and creating inclusive environment for participation in local level decision making.
Activities and Outputs:
- Conducted three days TOT on Disability inclusive disaster risk reduction (DIDRR) to women human rights defenders working in the sector of Women with disabilities
- Preparation of the action plan for the sensitization and advocacy programs to be conducted in Dolakha and Sindhupalchowk
- One day sensitization training to local stakeholders at Sunkhani rural municipality, Dolakha
- Two days (virtual) training to stakeholders of Sindhupalchowk district
- Relief distribution to 42 Women with disabilities of Kathmandu valley and Sindhupalchowk districtwhose livelihood has been affected due to Covid19 crisis
- Broadcasted public service announcement on the disability inclusive planning and policies during Covid19 in 5local radios and 2 national radios (broadcasting schedule mentioned in annex)
- Prepared disaster manifesto on the basis of problems identified in the local level sensitization trainings at Dolakha and Sindhupalchowk
The project has become successful in enhancing environmental justice to Women with disabilities of Sindhupalchowk and Dolakha districts. The women human rights defenders working in the rights of Women with disabilities have been provided with the knowledge and skills on disability inclusive disaster risk reduction (DIDRR) through three days TOT training under the project. These TOT participants have been working as campaigners for the environment justice of Women with disabilities in their respective communities. Furthermore, the training conducted at Sunkhani rural municipality of Dolakha and Sangachowkgadhi municipality of Sindhupalchowk district by the TOT participants have sensitized the local stakeholders at the community level on promotion of DIDRR in the local level. Further, as the revised project activity, public service announcement broadcasted through 5 local radios and 2 national radios have made the local stakeholders aware on the need of inclusive Covid19 crisis planning and programs. Moreover, after the training programs conducted at Sunkhani and Sangachowkgadhi municipalities, the problems at the community level on DIDRR was identified and on the basis of those identification, a disaster manifesto has been prepared which will be carried on as the advocacy document for the promotion of DIDRR beyond the project timeline.